Finding the right HVAC contractor is key to ensuring your heating and cooling systems work efficiently and reliably. With thousands of HVAC contractors available, it can be challenging picking the perfect one for your home in Garland. Use these 10 tips to find the best HVAC contractor for any installation, repair or maintenance needs.
1. Ask for Referrals
Talk to friends, neighbors and coworkers for HVAC contractor recommendations. Word-of-mouth referrals from people you trust are often the best way to find reputable companies that do quality work. Ask how satisfied they were with the contractor’s professionalism, work quality and pricing.
2. Check Credentials
It’s crucial to carefully check the credentials of any Garland HVAC contractor you are considering. Follow these tips:
- Verify Licensing: Confirm the contractor is licensed for HVAC work in Garland and the state of Texas. Licensed contractors have met training requirements and passed exams administered by the state.
- Look Into Insurance: Make sure the contractor carries both general liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance. Liability insurance covers damages if there are issues with the work. Workers’ comp protects you if a technician is injured on your property. Never hire uninsured contractors.
- Ask About NATE Certification: NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification indicates HVAC technicians have passed competency exams for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration. NATE certification is a sign of knowledge and credibility.
- Check for BBB Accreditation: See if the contractor is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB thoroughly vets businesses and only gives accreditation to those that meet standards of trust. BBB accreditation means a business is reputable.
- Confirm EPA Certification: EPA 608 certification is required for HVAC technicians who handle refrigerants. Contractors should have certified, EPA 608 credentialed technicians on staff. This validates proper refrigerant handling.
Thoroughly vetting licenses, insurance policies, certifications and accreditations will help confirm an HVAC contractor is qualified, certified, and able to perform work legally and safely. This due diligence on the front end is worth the effort!
3. Look for Experience
Find a Garland HVAC company that has been in business for 5+ years. Length of time in business indicates reliable service and proven expertise. Be wary of brand new contractors that may still be establishing their business.
4. Read Online Reviews
Search for reviews of local Garland HVAC companies on sites like Google, Facebook and Yelp. Look for contractors with consistently positive reviews. Beware of companies with no reviews or multiple complaints, which could signal issues.
5. Get Written Estimates
When narrowing down contractors, get written estimates from 3-4 companies before committing. Compare the scope of work, materials, timeline and exactly what’s covered. Get a clear understanding of all costs and fees. Avoid estimates that seem unusually high or low.
6. Ask About Emergency Services
Ask contractors what emergency services they provide should your HVAC system break down after hours, on weekends or holidays. Many reputable Garland contractors offer 24/7 emergency service for greater peace of mind.
7. Request Local References
Ask contractors for 2-3 local references you can contact to ask about their quality of work and professionalism. Speaking to past customers can give you greater confidence in the company.
8. Confirm Warranties
Reputable HVAC contractors should offer warranties on parts and labor. Warranties protect you against defects or failure. Be sure to get warranty terms in writing. Longer warranties are generally better.
9. Check for Proper Licensing
Confirm HVAC contractors have valid licenses for Garland and the state of Texas. All licensing should be current with no history of revocations. Unlicensed contractors are risky and often do subpar work.
10. Trust Your Instincts
Go with your gut feeling after meeting with and vetting different Garland HVAC contractors. Choose the company that clearly explained everything, answered all questions, and made you feel most confident in their capabilities.
Finding and hiring the right HVAC contractor is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as a homeowner. It will dictate the quality of installation or repair work done on your critical heating and cooling systems. While there are many contractors to choose from, you want to make sure you pick the best one.
Following the 10 tips in this guide will simplify the process and help you identify the perfect HVAC contractor for your needs in Garland. Here’s a quick recap of the key points:
- Get referrals from people you trust and check credentials thoroughly
- Research experience, reviews, licensing, warranties and emergency services
- Interview multiple contractors in-person and compare written estimates
- Ask for local references and follow up with them directly
- Confirm proper licensing for Garland and the state of Texas
- Go with your gut feeling after vetting contractors thoroughly
Taking the time to research and evaluate contractors on the front-end pays dividends through seamless HVAC service for years to come. Partnering with an experienced, highly-reviewed contractor gives you confidence during repairs or installations. Use this guide to find the honest, reputable HVAC pro your home needs!